Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nashville

Over Spring Break I went to Nashville, Tennessee. Wow. First of all, I did not realize all the double letters in the word Tennessee until I just typed it out. Second of all, what an amazing trip! So much went down so I will try to highlight it for you . . .

Saturday: Leave my house at 4:45 AM to catch our 6:30 AM flight from Tucson. I hate Delta Airlines. If possible, I will not fly them again. I didn't want to pay the
$25 to check a back, so i just carried everything on. Heavy. I wish I was a light packer, I really do! After sleeping through most of the flight to Atlanta, I ate an expensive burger. I don't know what it is about flying, but it makes me SO hungry all the time! An hour flight from ATL to Nashville, rent a car, and we are ready to go! It was sunny and beautiful! The rolling hills welcomed the arrival of two Tucsonans! Get to the Swain's house (that is where we stayed - GREAT family!)

Sunday: Church. Rain. All day. March Madness. Catch up on sleep. Eat. Hang out during the day. That night, we went downtown . . . hello NashVegas. It was cold, rainy, and we got lost. After delicious sweet potato fries, we tried to go line dancing. The one place we were told to go was the most awkward thing I have been to (and I've chaperoned Christian high school dances). The only people on the dance floor was a group of Wesleyan college choir singers. I don't think they had ever danced before. They looked like they were high schoolers. The best part was the 40 year old woman that was hitting on EVERY college guy (that looked 15). We left. No line dancing for us that night.

Monday: Visit Franklin area. My friend, Beth, told me I HAD to eat at Meridee's and
have the chicken salad (she said I wouldn't regret it - I didn't). While at Meridee's who do we see? None other than Michael W. Smith (I guess 90's Christian Rock did him well). Sitting in the same cafe eating his lunch! I wanted to serenade him with his own music, but was too nervous. We ended up getting a picture with him. No big deal. We then walked around downtown Franklin, where I got a sweet square scarf and $5 earrings.

Tuesday: The Flying Saucer. We went that night for Trivia Night (I had never been
to a Trivia Night before - we DEFINITELY lost). Keep in mind
that it was just Amber and I - apparently 2 girls with no guys around is anything BUT threatening to a room full of men. We may not have taken over Nashville, but we took over The Flying Saucer that night. I have never experienced anything like this before. In the 4 hours that we were at The Flying Saucer, we had been given 2 shots, a pitcher of beer, and a cigar. We had been invited 4 different places afterward and had a total of 14 guys sit down at our table (uninvited) and talk to us. 14. Living in Tucson my whole life, I did not realize that guys can actually have the guts to walk over and talk to girls. I guess Tucson is
full of panzies. A live band was playing at The Flying Saucer that night which was pretty good (there is A LOT of talent in Nashville), so Amber and I wanted to move up to the front, near the stage (after Trivia Night was over), to listen. We couldn't leave our table. We tried. We really wanted to just do our own thing and listen to music, but guys would not stop talking to us and just sitting at our table. It's a hard life. Finally got out of there before the stroke of midnight.

Wednesday: Went down to the Vanderbilt area. Too bad all I could afford was the
U of A (go wildcats!). We went to the Pancake Pantry, which is apparently the place to go in Nashville. You have to go really early in the morning (or as we discovered, noon on a Wednesday) or else you could wait up to 3
hours in line. But it is SO worth it. I had the sweet potato pancakes with a cinnamon creamy syrup. I think I was in heaven. This was by far the best thing I ate all week. We then went to Fido, a great coffee place, and as we walked up and down the streets I found my soulmate. Yes. A pair of cowboy boots. They were my size, the color I was wanting, half off, and they didn't make my calves look like giant tree trunks. Done. Yes, I have cowboy boots!

Thursday: Our last day in Nashville. The weather all week was sunny, warm, and everything started blooming! We went to a local vineyard, had a picnic, and tasted wine. Perfect end to my Spring Break week!

Friday: Most awkward travel home. On the flight from Nashville to Minneapolis a kid in front of us had his barf bag ready for the last hour along with loud burping. I couldn't handle it. I am so glad he didn't puke. Waiting in the Minneapolis airport, I ran into two Younglife kids. So random. The flight from Minneapolis to Tucson was equally awkward. Amber and I were SURROUNDED by a home-schooled family. I don't mean to dis home-schoolers (heck, I was one for 3 years), but this was the stereotypical homeschool family (and the kids were definitely in high school). I don't think they knew anything about social edict or functioning in society. Thank goodness I checked my bags. After getting off the plane we went directly to our car (or rather the shuttle that took us to the car). After the long week, I was really glad to be home and sleeping in my own bed. My bed + sweet potato pancakes really would = heaven.

This blog shout out goes to my sister, Sarah, who apparently was named teacher of the year by the school she teaches at! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment